Linux distributions using musl
- sabotage - experimental Linux distribution based on busybox and musl.
- About 700 packages including X11, LXDE, alsa, SDL, C++.
- Supports i386, x86_64, arm, mips, powerpc
- Uses lightweight replacements for netlink, pkg-config, and gettext
- Optimized for build speed and small binary size
- Per-package directories following stow/gobolinux spirit
- bootstrap-linux - consists only of a minimal set of packages that can be crosscompiled. kernel, toolchain, busybox.
- LightCube OS - for now there are only scripts to bootstrap a working environment with musl. This environment will be used to build out a full server-centric distribution with a centralized package repository.
- Includes only of a minimal set of packages that can be crosscompiled. (Kernel, toolchain, busybox, gawk, make and sed)
- Uses pkgsrc for additional packages, so supports thousands of packages
- Mainly a platform for testing usrview, a system for per-process views of /usr, for very fine-grained control of package management.
- TAZ - a Gentoo-based livecd/livedvd
- Embedded Linux From Scratch - a fork of CLFS embedded using musl libc
- 2013-09-28 Updated to correct name of toolchain used
- 2013-09-14 Updated to musl-0.9.13. Supports *-*-musl* toolchains.
- Cross Linux From Scratch - CLFS uses musl since 16.10.2013 (Announcement)
- morpheus - suckless linux distro
- Bedrock Linux - as of version 1.0alpha4
- Alpine Linux - based on musl since the 3.0 release.
- Void Linux provides official musl based images.
- Exherbo has an x86_64 musl stage.
- oasis - statically linked linux distribution based on musl and other lightweight components.
- januslinux - Fast and compact Linux distribution which uses musl libc and busybox userland tools.
- About 300-400 packages including X11, Wayland, Mesa3D, ALSA, SDL, SDL2, rust and go
Linux distros that plan to switch to musl
- Aboriginal - next major release will be based on musl
- Dragora release based on musl is in the works since 2012. README, BOOTSTRAPPING
Linux distros shipping musl as an optional package
- Gentoo (see musl overlay)
- Arch Linux
- Debian package can now be found in sid (unstable).
- Ubuntu package is included in the universe section of the repository starting with Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr. There is also a PPA available (ppa:bortis/musl) for Saucy Salamander.
- OpenWrt packages musl and uses musl as default libc except for mips64 since r45995.
- openadk Embedded Linux buildsystem, musl can be selected as the libc of the system.
Third-party projects using or building on musl:
- simplecct simple cross compiler toolchain
- ELLCC is a Clang/LLVM and musl based cross compilation toolchain for embedded systems
- Dwarf Fortress port
- OSv “cloud” operating system used a musl based libc
- Mirage OS is an Xen guest written in OCaml, its floating-point formatting code is from musl.
- docker-muslbase minimal musl-based docker container
- buildroot toolchain has musl libc option
- seL4 seL4 kernel ships with musl
- NodeOS linux with Node.js as userspace
- Rust is a programming language with musl supported as a cross-compilation option